Sunday, July 26, 2009

Photo Challenge 25

Well, I just got myself a 300 dollar camera at work for 60 on clearance. It's a nice camera too, a Cybershot H10. As part of the celebration of me getting a new camera, I thought I'd actually use it and see if I could do some decent photos.

Diana (my sister) and a couple of her friends put together a weekly photo challenge (Found here). So, here are my submissions for this week.

The goal was to "advertise a product" with 3 photos. I asked my roommate to be my subject. I told him it was an art project, which made him more than willing to offer his acting skills. I actually typed a story on the typewriter to complete the setting. Poor Edward Walker found his day ruined by the police when they found someone dead on the hood of his '57 Chevy with his business card clutched in her hand.

I took a bunch of photos as I figured out how to change the aperture settings. This is all new to me. Out of twenty, ten were too dark. The 2nd ten were not bad and out of those I came up with 3 good ones.

The product being advertised is the typewriter. The shots are in black and white because it's a classic manual typewriter. The aim was to evoke the image of a classic writer. I wanted to use natural light, so it limited the angles I could use. I think #1 is the weakest, with #2 the strongest of those below.











































And here are a few alternates.











































I don't like the second to last one because of the hand position. The others are more realistic. It's also too dark. The last one was done with a flash rather than natural light. You can really tell the difference.

1 comment:

katie said...

Hi Scott!
I like the third photo best for this challenge--it really displays the typewriter, and you can even see the brand name. I also like that all of them give an 'old-timey' feel. The black & white helps with that. Nice job, and welcome to the challenge!
-katie k.